forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointers and intent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Pointers and intent Reply with quote

The following program creates a window with a menu item and a button, both of which call the same callback function, f, which is defined in module m. The call-back function allocates memory to two arrays, x and y, that are defined as pointers. It then tries to call a subroutine, s, which declares the arrays as Intent(Out) rather than as pointers (I think that is legal, but I am not certain), but only one of the arrays is actually assigned any values.

If you click on the menu item the program runs, but it hangs if you click on the button. FTN95 does not typically seem to complain if an Intent(Out) argument is left unassigned, and this problem only seems to occur if the callback function is activated from a window.

Any suggestions? I suppose the place to start is to confirm whether or not the coding is valid Fortran. Change the arguments in the subroutine to pointers and the problem disappears. However, if I make an equivalent change to my original 70,000 line program the problem is not resolved. And since it took me 3 working days to isolate the problem below, I'm hoping that diagnosing what might be happening with this small program will help fix my larger program!

Code:
Module m
!
  Real, Dimension(:), Pointer :: x => Null()
  Real, Dimension(:), Pointer :: y => Null()
!
Contains
!
 Function f()
  Integer :: f
!
  Allocate (x(2))
  Allocate (y(2))
  Print *, 'Call s2'
  Call s (x, y)
  Print *, 'Called S2'
  f = 2
  Return
 End Function f
!
!
 Subroutine s (x, y)
  Real, Dimension(:), Intent(Out) :: x, y
!
  Print *, 'Start'
  x(:) = 1.0
  Print *, 'End'
  Return
 End Subroutine s
End Module m
!
!
Winapp
Program cpt
!
  Use clrwin, Only: winio@
  Use m,      Only: f
!
  Integer :: ic_par ! - parent window control variable -
  Integer :: iw     ! - window argument -
  Integer :: ih_con ! - ClearWin+ window handle -
!
! Open test window
  iw = winio@('%ca@&', 'TEST')
  iw = winio@('%mn[test]&', f)
  iw = winio@('%cn%^5tt@%ff&', 'test', f)
  iw = winio@('%ff %`50.10cw&', 0, ih_con)
  iw = winio@('%lw', ic_par)
!
End Program cpt
simon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I forgot to add that I have some reason for suspecting that the problem may only occur on Windows 10, but I'm unable to test that assertion.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like FTN95 is not able to pass x from f to s in this way.
It might be a programming error or a bug in FTN95.

It would be simpler to declare x (and y) as "allocatable" rather than as "pointer". This seems to work may be valid Fortran.

The fact that it "works" in 64 bit mode is interesting and may give a clue to what is going wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: