forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortran modernisation workshop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current release (v8.05) of the compiler comes with a beta release of our 64 bit debugger SDBG64. Compile with /debug and run "SDBG.exe prog.exe".

A beta version of a native %pl is now available for testing by using the following link to download new DLLs. Please use with caution and make sure that the existing DLLs are backed up before installing. A text file in the download provides notes on how to use the native %pl.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2p4n4bjt8bfo7tv/newDlls10.zip?dl=0

Here is an illustrative sample program:

Code:
      WINAPP
      INCLUDE <clearwin.ins>
      C_EXTERNAL WINOP@ '__winop'(INSTRING) !Remove this line for a new clearwin.ins
      INTEGER i,x
      INTEGER,PARAMETER::n=1000
      DOUBLE PRECISION p1,p2,p3,y(n)
      INTEGER,EXTERNAL::cb
      !read*,i
      p1=1.5d0
      p2=150.0d0
      p3=15d0
      x=0
      DO i=1,n
        y(i)=p1*sin(x/p3)*exp(-x/p2)
        x=x+1
      ENDDO
      i=winio@('%ww[no_border]%ca[Damped wave]%pv&')
      i=winio@('%fn[Tahoma]&')
      i=winio@('%ts&', 1.1d0)
      i=winio@('%tc&',rgb@(0,0,80))
      i=winio@('%it&')
      i=winio@('%`bg&',rgb@(230,255,225))
      call winop@("%pl[native]")
      call winop@("%pl[width=2]")
      call winop@('%pl[title="Sample plot"]')
      call winop@("%pl[x_axis=Time(Milliseconds)]")
      call winop@("%pl[y_axis=Amplitude@(-4.0)]")
      call winop@("%pl[style=2]")     ! curve joins points
      call winop@("%pl[smoothing=4]") ! anti-aliasing
      i=winio@("%^pl[colour=red]",500,400,n,0.0d0,1.0d0,y,cb)
      END

INTEGER FUNCTION cb()
      INCLUDE <clearwin.ins>
      call draw_characters@("Legend:..", 300, 100, 0)
      call draw_line_between@(300,120,360,120,rgb@(0,0,255))
      cb = 0
      END

aebolzan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

the new %pl format seems quite interesting.I have tested it and works fine, and I liked it, although I wonder how to use it to replace the old %dw. In my case, I am still using Simpleplot via:

width=0.8*clearwin_info@('SCREEN_WIDTH')
height=0.8*clearwin_info@('SCREEN_DEPTH')
ans=winio@('%bg[grey]%ww[maximise]%^dw[user_resize]&',width,height,bitmap) ! Pass bitmapDC to ClearWin

so I can reserve a region for plots and create menus and buttons around it. With %pl I feel a little lost, becauseseems it asks always data for plotting, so if I use it I get a "second" window once the plots are calculated. Or am I forgetting anything?. As far as I remember, in the past it was possible to define something like "i=winio@('%pl[user_drawn]&',400,300)", and use a call-back to plot something or leave the corresponding place empty, but now this option is no more there.

I have some other comments about the new %pl format, but I prefer to have an answer to this first question before advancing....

Agustin
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last ! some progress re- all the nagging from myself and Dan, although it would have been nice to have known this was going on behind the scenes (I know, no pleasing some people) as I for one haven't seen any input from Sfrost previously in response to our incessant prodding in this direction !

One obvious comment is THIS INFO HERE IS GOING TO GET LOST !
A seperate post - or better still a seperate Forum TOPIC ? would appìear prudent. Also as an iìnput for user suggestions as it grows in capabilities maybe.
Not to mention the people who haven't even bothered to read up on this post (which was about the Fortran Modernisation symposium !). I know I for one almost read past it, then almost didn't read all the updated comments as I was befuddled by the optimisation story, and so nearly missed the good news !
Isn't 'Announcements' intended for this sort of stuff ?

Last edited by John-Silver on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin, it says in the help file in the dlls .zip that it acts like a %gr

Therefore should be no problem treating it as such and plonking all the other controls around it as you wish.

It also mentions an IDentifier, although it's not mentioned there (yet) the format for speciying that, not that I noted anyway !

And a callback can be specified, and the plot can be overwritten wth User-defined graphics (like custom-axis subtitles) - a nice option.

Not sure though how Dan will cope with the nice option for label positioning tweaking when re-sizing a window !
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a GOOD POINT HERE FOR SILVERFROST TO SET UP THE NEW FORUM TOPIC !!!! (see my suggstion 2 up)

(x-referencing this post of course !)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

%dw was the original graphics control that was developed into %gr. So %gr replaces %dw.

The native %pl shares a "drawing surface" with %gr which means that you can use %gr routines to draw directly to a native graph.

The %pl identifier is described in the original documentation for %pl. The native %pl replicates all of the original %pl syntax apart from for the user_drawn option. For further details see the notes that are included in the download.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I'm lost: %pl requires always a pair of x/y values, so I cannot create a %pl window without plotting something....I find no way to create, like %gr, an empty window where I show initially the place for the coming plots (like I did with %gr and %dw, i.e., something like just: winio@('%pl[options]', width, height). On the other hand, if I initially plot something with a first call to %pl, when I have a second call to %pl (because I have a new plot), %pl opens in a second window.

Agustin
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uff ...i already thought %pl will never be revived from the oblivion ! Great start and changes are in the right direction. Fonts look nice, and in right places with tic marks. It is also possible to plot symbols instead of lines and the whole ideology is more aligned with the whole Clearwin+.

Please do not forget my easy to implement suggestions on how to make it to produce top notch quality plots so that in one of our next Nature or Science paper i will make a caption "Plotted using Silverfrost Clearwin+"

One obvious bug is in this demo: when you scale the plot size to zero with mouse it crashes with FP overflow error.

I also tried for first time 64bit debugger on this exactly example but it did not go...
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aebolzan

%pl is only for plotting 2D graphs otherwise use %gr.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, what I am saying is that you cannot have a blank %pl window when a program starts, as it can be done with %dw and %gr, therefore it cannot be used when you have a program that first makes some calculations and then plots the resulting data, within the same and single window. If you use %pl during the run of the program, %pl opens in a second window. I do not know if I am clear on this point, am I?.....the new facility of %pl is quite interesting, but limited in this respect, unless I am missing something....

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Could you do that with the old %pl?

Perhaps, if ClearWin+ was to process the number of points n as a reference then the user could set it to zero initially and trigger a redraw with a non-zero value later.

At the moment the native %pl fails if n is zero but it might a relatively simple feature to add.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I have to admit that it was also not possible with the old non-native %pl, but I thought that the new implementation had overcome such limitation. I think that it would be very useful to have the option of no-plot by setting n=0 as you mention.

By the way: I do not know how difficult could be to implement also at least three types of styles for curves (full, dot, dash) and different types of symbols (square, circle, triangle, both as empty and full symbols). Such styles would make quite versatile the use of %pl for 2D plots.....

Sorry if I am asking too much.....

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin

I will look at the n=0 feature. The other things should be simple to implement but the best I can do for now is to put them on the wish list.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, that would be a good start, for the rest...well.....we can wait and in the meantime we can use colours to plot different sets of data-curves....

Agustin
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... unless you work in an office which limits the use of colour printing :O) !!!
... and/or b&w photocopies of colour originals are oft used !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: