forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with 'at' character input/output
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Perhaps just download this: http://www.silverfrost.com/manuals/clearwin.pdf

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, this says "Refer to the ClearWin+ Supplemental Manual" for details on these obsolete functions.

That's the one I'm looking for (I think). There may be a diofferent one, possible a Fortran specific one. I have:

Salford Clearwin
Salford F77 User Guide and
Salford FTN 95
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the required documentation...

http://www.silverfrost.com/manuals/clearwinuserssupplement.zip
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I'm not sure that this is what is wanted. I'm afraid that I didn't look further than the title page before recommending the documentation. I have a print copy of a very early version of the Clearwin+ Fortran Edition manual dated June 1995. By then, quite a number of things had seemed to become obsolete, often associated with 16-bit Windows, VBX controls, and DBOS (also FTN77).

At the risk of being called 'know-all', what seems to have happened is that the baby was thrown out with the bath water over the confusing terminology 'ClearWin windows'. Windows generated with WINIO@ seem to be referred to as 'Format windows', but Clearwin windows are either or both of:

(a) Windows generated with CREATE_WINDOW and managed with routines such as CLEAR_WINDOW, DESTROY_WINDOW etc.

(b) Text display areas created with %cw in a Format window

The first category of these are clearly supplanted by Format windows, but the second category are not, and they remain of use for anyone who want to use traditional Fortran formatted output (admittedly, using ESCape sequences to add bold, italic, underline, colour etc) , which one does inside the %cw text area, having attached a Fortran LUN to the %cw area with (say) OPEN_TO_WINDOW@. The earlier content of this topic related to the @ symbol, which eventually was tracked down to it being the default ESCape code, resettable by SET_WIN_ESCAPE.

Sadly, the documentation for both categories (a) and (b) above is interwoven, and despite your very clear example (and my suggestions, which I had all but forgotten), there seems to be no clear exposition of what you can or can't do with a %cw text area as distinct from a Windows Window NOT generated with WINIO@.

Even the 1995 manual needs a lot of searching in, and I can't find any better anywhere.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

The intention (but maybe not always the practise) is outlined in the help files under Win32 platform->ClearWin+->Introduction->How to use this guide.

A "ClearWin" window is produced, for example, via %cw.
A "Format" window is anything produced by a call to winio@.

The documentation mentioned above describes ClearWin which was basically ClearWin+ without winio@. It includes a description of add_text_descriptor@ (an alternative name for add_text_descriptor) together with other routines relating to "ClearWin" windows.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too ! I'd be very interested in seeing the 'old girl' manual and all the potential treasures inside.
[Ooops - now seen all the previous posts from yesterday]

I'd also like to nominate this post as a candidate for 'post of the century' !
I've not even read it all 'a-z' but it demonstrates perfectly the beauty of this ftn95 nonsense and the incredible contributors we have on this forum.
Thank You all (even though my brain hurt sometimes too trying to follow it all (goes away to put hanky on his head).

Oh, and nobody replied to Dan's question a couple of comments up on the previous page:-

Quote:
That rainbow of colors makes CWP very nice looking. Is it possible to change the font in Simpleplot %pl control similar way?
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Point(s) taken. You know that I am fond of an aphorism of the form: "When is an X not an X?" As a long time devotee of Clearwin+, I am often confused by ClearWin, Clearwin, Clearwin+, Clearwin window etc and when one needs to delve into two decades old documentation, that describes things that no longer exist, interdigitated with things that are still present and useful.

I'm not sure that anything is helped by a peremptory command that "You must provide a list of X, Y and Z", but honestly, life would be easier if somewhere one could find certain things more easily in the documentation.

The other day, trawling through some old papers, I found the registration paperwork for my attendance at the Clearwin launch seminar at Salford, so that gives me around 24 years of dabbling with it, but I still get 'Eureka' moments when I discover that something obsolete is still in there, or how to do something that perhaps one needs only once per decade.

There is a fundamental problem in psychology that it is easier to understand what is meant when an object is given two names than when the same name is given to two different objects. Quite clearly in the older documentation, a ClearWin window is one generated by Create_Window as well as a window created by %cw.

The problem is not eased with complex names that contain the same elements transposed. Despite more than 2 decades of use, I still have to look up (in the documentation or an example program of mine) the difference between UPDATE_WINDOW@ and WINDOW_UPDATE@.

As always, you have succinctly described the current position, but the confusion arises when one needs to refer to older documentation because it is difficult to find the matter in the current documentation.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I think that Dan's request was missed at the time.
You can set the line colour in the existing %pl but not the text colour.
As far as I know the Simplot library does not allow you to set the colour of the various text components.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: