forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Code Visualisation - auto Flowchart generation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Code Visualisation - auto Flowchart generation Reply with quote

My brain often becomes befuddled trying to 'visualise' even my own code somtimes, let alone code posted on this forum.

Can anyone recommend an open source program which produces a flowchart visualisation of fortran code ?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

If you are discussing those charts with diamonds, circles, boxes and lines,
I can't remember the last time I created a flowchart !
Using new F90+ coding structures and indenting code with a screen editor makes that micro approach obsolete.
A white board (or large sheets of paper) for a macro approach to code structure is more relevant today.

John
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know John I've not touched a flowchart since the advent of PC's either !
I remember being taught from day one (around 1977, by Bruce) that you should always write a flowchart before the program. Of course at the time it was always done in reverse order, and quickly became no ordr at all !
However I was thinking more of using as a quick n dirty method to understand the structure of code (in my case many of my own programs are 20-odd years old and I can't remember what I wrote !

An artists impression paints a few hundred indentations and comment cards, as the saying goes, words, or something like that Smile
davidb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of anything that is open source or freeware. There is Scitools' Understand Static Analysis Tool (just search for scitools understand) which supports Modern Fortran (and F77) quite well and can give you lots of flow charts and dependency charts. Its expensive but there is a free trial available.

Personally, I find flowcharts harder to create and understand than actual code. They are rarely used these days.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the comments. I don't think that I ever used a flowchart for programming. However, the same graphics and logic are very useful for creating event trees in quantitative risk analysis.
IanLambley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/291227
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link Ian.
I'd aready seen the first prog listed (visustin) elsewhere and will give it a try out although the price is a bit prohibitive (of order half that of FTN95 - Paýul, there's a new market there for Silverfrost !)
Only one of th eothers listed is applicable (CVF).
I'll give that a try too and report back if either are interesting nough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: