forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95 64-bit beta test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... of course all of that is about options (for enhancing ftn95) and doesn't help long-time heritage users of SimplePlot who have built in routines and wish to 'update' their programs a bit , so %pl should still be 'corrected'/expanded within reason also, and might in the end be considered the short-term solution to get the ball rolling and give users some hope.
Why all this might even be being discussed over at Silverfrost Towers right hre, right now as we mere mortals, the users, Wink debate and each throw in our twopenneth (or 2 cents).
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Things are that doing %pl improvement is really easy. I have done many of these things myself on my own plotting routines despite my zero initial experience and general reluctance to lose time on that

It is definitely not hard in example above the top Settings menu appears when you click on axis or its text. And the right settings menu - when you click on the lines plotted. In my own routines I can easily move axis left and right, up and down with mouse without any menu by simultaneously pushing CTRL key, chose palettes, output parts of image in text format, chose preselected designs etc. All in one click. The switch to stunning looking surface plot or 3D OpenGL plots is also just one click away in my case if the same data is 3D.

For Silverfrost this could be just an easy work with a lot of fun. It will bring so needed gloss and shine on the compiler. Throwing Simpleplot out of the table and substituting it with own graphics routine will take few month more but with current state of stubborness or something else hell knows what of Simpleplot developers we all have no choise

Of course if binding to Excel is easy to do - why not implement this too?

But my position is that we use coding in Fortran to get almost total control on what we do. This is why instead of using Excel etc i also made %pl - based easy visualizer of simple XY data. It does not look as cool as Excel because Simpleplot looks like a @#$%. If %pl would be perfected like in the example above (and it could be even better with gradient and picture backgrounds and some other beautifications like grid lines, 3D axis, color scales etc) no one would want to use Excel for quick look at the data or even more serious work.

And by the way some time in the past Excel was considered a threat to security due to its hacking vulnerabilities. Same was with the JavaScript. The Security department were recommending to switch them off or remove. Not recommended was clicking on Russian and Chinese sites. But currently no one cares about security and privacy anymore, everything is blatantly hacked, JavaScript is ON by default, Russian sites and Chinese internet commerce sites and cellphone apps are used even more then any others and no one cares.

Unfortunately i spend my time to do all that graphics stuff my own way from ground zero. Without graphics i often can not even find the errors.

Silverfrost would improve graphics capabilities professionally and do that 10x faster.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also such design would be nice to see in the future plotting utility

LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Just out of interest, have you tried Simdem?

Eddie
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, No...looks ugly like simpleplot.

My idea is to make simple powerful and professionally looking %pl utility which is doing main basic things in one line and the graphs look suitable for any journal publications (like for example Matlab is producing) not the whole graphics package.

For anything else seems the only way so far is to use own made graphics packages.

I am sure with time such thing will be made - we have good experience with %pl and some experience making good looking graphics. We just need to combine these two. Even school students of the authors of Simpleplot made superb graphics utility for Android which costs a dollar or two. If they would devote some time to improve their buggy crappy %pl...
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd widen the qustion and ask "has ANYONEm tried Simdem/SimFit (which is the 'real prog') ?
and hat recommendations are there out there for pursuing it (or otherwise) as a plotting workhorse !? "
what are the linmitations/drawbacks ?

Same for gnuplot too, or PPlot, or DISLIN ?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the graphics package sources are freely available and they are still not abandoned by the authors then it is potentially possible to try to beautify the plotted graphs. If this works and the output meets the one single strict requirement to look as good as Matlab/Mathematica/Excel/Originlab then I do not see why not substitute limpy primitivus Simpleplot in ℅pl with this other package. Or add another independent Clearwing control for it.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I think when we started the SimplePlot discussions a year or 2 back now it was clear that the sources were not available, hence why we played around to see what paramaters were modifiable outside of the %pl command (some worked, some didn't if I remember).

I think the idea of an all singing all dancing singlecall %pl would inevitably end up with several 10's of lines of options to be specified, and the likelihood of one ever being implemented is remote for that reason only I'd guess.
However maybe a series of %pl1, %pl2, etc .... for a set of 'typical' plots might be more palatable to the programmers and would mean earlier implementation of something acceptable, and possibly a better future upgrade possibilities.
However I don't see any committment or even interest whatsoever from the silverfrost side to do something ... nay, anything ... to improve things. Which is surprising.
Maybe Paul could clarify if anything is even remotely being planned/considered for future development ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. We are now at a point where we can consider our options regarding a 64 bit %pl. The issue has not been forgotten but other things have taken precedence. At the moment I am not in a position to be able provide a time scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: