forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

****.enh Files Availability pre-Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: ****.enh Files Availability pre-Installation Reply with quote

Is it possible to consult the .enh files before installing the version with which they are delivered ?

(Not just cwplus.enh but all the files in the FTN95 Doc folder :- i.e. also ftn95.enh , saldiag.enh, slink.enh)

I'm of the old school and like to see what's in a program before updating willy-nilly. (I'm not too enamoured with the prospect of installing multi-versions due to the what seems to me anyway to be inevitable problems with cross-versions of the program being referenced and the minefield that is the setting of environment variables to access different installed versions)!

Maybe via a link to a location where they can be accessed, posted in in the long requested/awaited new Forum Topic called Documentation ?
(since I see an x64 topic was recently set up I'd suggest again that one on Documentation would be a good idea.)
and why not also on the website under the documentation section !?!?!?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment you get a preview of FTN95 and ClearWin+ enhancements in the Announcements section of this Forum. Apart perhaps from Plato, other things rarely change.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the 'revision history' what you want?

http://www.silverfrost.com/19/ftn95/support/ftn95_revision_history.aspx

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Eddie, it's more or less that (in fact its more or less the ftn95.enh file) but there are some things which differ in the 2, and the cwplus.enh is a lot more detailed on some things.

Personally, I still think the full .enh files should be available at least in the documentation section of the website, for completeness. After all, we're not always on a machine that has FTN95 installed with the .enh files available.

I don't understand also the apparent reluctance to put a new topic on the forums specifically for documentation, surely it would help the silverfrost team to get the documentation eventually into a mor concise state ... eventually if users comments were concentrated in one place. Paul's clearly stated in the past that they are aware of it's (the overall documentations) shortcomings, ahich means I suppose there are medium-long term plans to sort it out.

As an example, the reason which provoked my post was that on another I saw mention of 'GlobalMemoryStatus@' , which I wasn't previously aware of, but which may respond to a secondary question on a previous post of mine a few weeks ago.
So, I typed that into the search box on the website (top right) and ...... zero results .... yet there it is mentioned in the page you linked to Eddie with the Revision history.
Try it .... it's not particularly re-assurring when you know that the inforfmation is there but a search doesn't find it !!!
I won't even start on the frustrations of trying to search specifically the forum posts !!!
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no great fan of the documentation, and I agree that even when you know something is there, it can be difficult to find. I'm the sort of person who reads the documentation before embarking on a task, and I don't find it well structured.

One problem is that the updates file only goes back to 4.90, and a lot of Clearwinplus predates that. But relative to one or two releases past, it is pretty comprehensive.

Your problem with undocumented functions might be helped by reading the .INS file and asking yourself what those functions do, with a bit of detective work on MSN!

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: