forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Executable not runs in other windows system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narayanamoorthy_k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Executable not runs in other windows system Reply with quote

Hi
I have developed a small fortran application using PLATO IDE. The generated executable only runs in my laptop (windows7) where I developed. THe silverfrost application (FTN95, Plato IDE, Express) are installed in my laptop. The executable runs smoothly without any problem here.
But when I run this executable from other system, it is throwing errors. Is there problem? Pls. help to resolve.

Thanks and Regards
Moorthy
PS: Not sure if the similar issues was reported earlier to this forum.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to copy salflibc.dll to the other machine together with your executable.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and any other files the applications require. The reason why most software requires you to install it is because of copying all the requisite files to specific folders and putting the relevant entries into the Registry.

If your application will run only with salflibc.dll, that's fine. If you have a lot more to install, then you need an applicationto do it. I use Jordan Russell's InnoSetup: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isdl.php

It is free.
narayanamoorthy_k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

LitusSaxonicum wrote:
... and any other files the applications require. The reason why most software requires you to install it is because of copying all the requisite files to specific folders and putting the relevant entries into the Registry.

If your application will run only with salflibc.dll, that's fine. If you have a lot more to install, then you need an applicationto do it. I use Jordan Russell's InnoSetup: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isdl.php

It is free.

Thank you very much Litus..

It is a simple executable application (1 exe file), which reads an input data (text) file and process and writes the results in another output file. It runs in DOS prompt. So, copying salflibc.dll alone was not helping to run successfully. But how this InnoSetup helps here. No need to register through windows registry etc. at this moment. Pls. let me know.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all you need is to copy across your EXE file and salflibc.dll. My applications need to copy font files, help files, register the default file types with the registry so that clicking on a datafile launches the application, putting icons on the desktop or the start menu, setting up a folder tree for data files, and arranging whatever is necessary to uninstall the application in the future. If your needs are simple and trivial you can of course just copy the files across, and if it is a plain old console application all will be fine.

The great advantage of FTN 95 over other Fortrans is the ease with which you can create a full Windows application.
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other file you might need (depending on which functions you are using) is: Salford.VisualClearWin.dll. You might not.

Also, the dll's need to be in the same folder as the executable program to be found properly. If they are in your data folder, this will not work.
narayanamoorthy_k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Litus, @Wahorger: Thanks a lot for the details. I agree that FTN95 is an excellent environment in developing Fortran based applications. I will be developing the Windows based applications too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: