forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't find the object file
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GerritJvB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Can't find the object file Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using the latest download of the FTN Express and looked at the Window 10 (64 bit) environmental parameters and the Plato project parameters and found them all (apparently) in order. However, when I try a simple FTN program by using the Plato "start" button I get this message:

Compilation completed with no errors.
Linking...
*** Could not open: C:\Users\Antec300i7-3930k\Documents\Silverfrost FTN95 Express\CheckMate\Win32\First.obj

Although the First.obj (0 bytes) exists in the appropriate directory when I use the Windows Explorer. All the other files e.g. *.lst, Errorlog, etc exist in their appropriate directories.

I did find when using a simple compilation this error message although the compiler claims to have found no errors:

Compiling file: First.f95
Access violation:
The instruction at address 00538f36 attempted to write to location 7fff0000
00538e25 generate_default_pattern(<ptr>char,<ptr>structᅣtype_definition) [+0111]

0050d9f0 allocate_static_object(<ptr>structᅣscoped_entity) [+02d1]

004c1e0f allocate_a_variable(<ptr>structᅣscoped_entity,<ptr>structᅣscope)#42 [+02d2]

004c24ea allocate_all_the_vars(<ptr>structᅣscoped_entity,<ptr>structᅣscope)#42 [+004d]

004c290c allocate_var_space(<ptr>structᅣscope) [+1b38]

00416e11 end_function(int) [+0565]

00418c00 parse_end_statement(<ptr>char,int,<ref>int) [+0b89]

etc.

Any link between the two errors?

I would be grateful for a solution!

From the frozen (<-30 C night time) Ottawa Can.

Gerrit JvB.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the .obj file has a length of 0 bytes, it doesn't contain much object code, does it?

It looks as though the compilation failed.
GerritJvB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. And that's why I'm stuck and pleading for some wisdom from those more knowledgeable than me.

Gerrit
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your path to first.obj scares me. I never know if there is an access rights problem.

I would create a directory c:\temp\ftn95_test
Copy first.f95 into that directory and see what happens.

Make sure you have the fvars.bat path and environment variables set correctly ( if you are not using .net, you can leave out the .net path setting )
(you probably do, otherwise you would not have run ftn95)
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just check first your installation is OK by compiling the program from the command prompt

> FTN95 name.for

which produces onj file if all is ok or

> FTN95 name.for /link

to get just the EXE

Use /free if it is free fortran source format (132 columns)

If it goes OK then do things other suggested

/* From the +23C finally hot, sunny, spring blooming Califfornia
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan, although he had finger trouble, and it is .obj not .onj.

Even simpler, use the /LGO switch:

FTN95 /LGO first.for

because this does the linker stage automatically, and has the added benefit that if it does run, and you are using the personal edition, you don't have to wait for the 6-second 'naggging' display to go away.

Your program first.for is probably quite short, so why not post it here?

How you compile from the command prompt may also be arcane knowledge to you. In Windows 10, from the start menu, choose 'all apps' and after that, one of the 'Windows Power Shell' options that allow you to type in the commands that Dan or I recommend. You may need to use cd to start in the folder where you have put your first.for file.

Update: The Windows 'Command Prompt' is still there in the start menu under 'Windows system', but on my computers the font size is unacceptably small.
GerritJvB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Can't open the object file Reply with quote

Hi to all,

Pardon me for smiling in my long white beard. I learned Fortran on a CDC3100 (mainframe booted from paper tape). And later migrated my programs to an IBM DOS machine. Much to the amusement of professional programmers who used Assembler and COBOL and claimed that Fortran was as dead as Latin.......

I tried Dan's approach and found:

c:\ftn95 first.for /free
[FTN95/win32 ver 5.40.0 copyright....etc.]

and then up popped this finger into my eye:

Runtime error from program:c:\program files (x86)\silverfrost\ftn95 express\ftn95.exe
Access Violation
The instruction at address 00538f51 attempted to write to location 7fff0000

00538e25 generate_default_pattern(<ptr>char,<ptr>structÄtype_definition) [+012c]

0050d9f0 allocate_static_object(<ptr>structÄscoped_entity) [+02d1]

004c1e0f allocate_a_variable(<ptr>structÄscoped_entity,<ptr>structÄscope)#42 [+02d2]

004c24ea allocate_all_the_vars(<ptr>structÄscoped_entity,<ptr>structÄscope)#42 [+004d]

004c290c allocate_var_space(<ptr>structÄscope) [+1b38]

00416e11 end_function(int) [+0565]

00418c00 parse_end_statement(<ptr>char,int,<ref>int) [+0b89]

004124a7 handle_token(<ptr>cha¬×„OµP
eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000004
edx=00000000 esi=00000007 edi=7fff0000
ebp=0384ed30 esp=0384ece0 IOPL=2
ds=002b es=002b fs=0053
gs=002b cs=0023 ss=002b
flgs=00210202 [NC OP NZ SN DN NV]

00538f51 rep
00538f52 stosb
00538f53 pop edi

Which is the same error as that which came out of the Plato workbench and was found in c:\error.txt The execution run did produce a c:\first.obj file of 0 bytes.
The Fortran program is straight out of the Plato Help:

Program First
WINAPP
integer i
real :: x=0.0
do i=1,10
print* ,x,x*x
x = x+0.25
end do
end program First

Gerrit
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit, I tried to compile your code naming it with a .for extension, and it wouldn't compile. So I renamed it .f90 (OK, I could have said /free for the format) and it compiled, giving output in a DOS window. Then I moved WINAPP to in front of the PROGRAM statement, and it compiled and ran with output in a proper window.

Then I put it into Plato, as supplied with WINAPP after PROGRAM, and I could compile it with no errors, and run it.

So I'm stumped.

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit, I tried to compile your code naming it with a .for extension, and it wouldn't compile. So I renamed it .f90 (OK, I could have said /free for the format) and it compiled, giving output in a DOS window. Then I moved WINAPP to in front of the PROGRAM statement, and it compiled and ran with output in a proper window.

Then I put it into Plato, as supplied with WINAPP after PROGRAM, and I could compile it with no errors, and run it.

So I'm stumped.

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm stumped.

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm stumped.

Eddie
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit,

You initially claimed "I'm using the latest download of the FTN Express and looked at the Window 10 (64 bit) environmental parameters"

Your latest trace gives "[FTN95/win32 ver 5.40.0 copyright....etc.] "

Is this true ? as Ver 5.40.0 is very old and may not run on Windows 10.
I tried to run Ver 5.01 recently and it failed.

John
GerritJvB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Can't find the object file Reply with quote

Thank you JohnCampbell!

Fortunately I have another Windows 10 system and I downloaded the "Personal" version of the FTN95 compiler. That's version 7.20. The compilation and execution of the sample program went as is to be expected.

My error was in assuming that the download for the FTN95 Express would be the latest version of a slightly different expression of the Silverfrost FTN compiler.

I'll uninstall the old stuff and download the appropriate zip file.

Thanks to all for your concern and attention.

May your code always be elegant and literate!
Gerrit
P.S. 46 cm of snow in the last 8 hours and still snowing.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit,

Good to hear you have fixed the problem.
Not sure what the FTN95 Express version is, but maybe it should be checked to be compatible with Windows 10.

John

P.S. 25 degC, sunny and a chance of rain overnight
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can't open the object file Reply with quote

GerritJvB wrote:
Much to the amusement of professional programmers who used Assembler and COBOL and claimed that Fortran was as dead as Latin.......
Gerrit

Fortran is kind of a special case. Not only not dead, but getting younger and younger. And more and more capable and powerful. It will not die even in year 3000. Natural intuitive simplicity, legacy and speed are always #1, #2 and #3 in demand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: