forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About "FTN95 Help" again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: About "FTN95 Help" again Reply with quote

When you click to open FTN95 Help it opens in Search tab. You put there for example "%sc" to search and it finds you nothing. You try to change the tab to Contents - irrelevant. Changing tab to Index but the search finds you whole hundred %xx topics and you have to browse them.

That's annoying and probably completely counterintuitive for novices which might think "What's wrong with this damn Windows? Or this is this compiler's fault?"

Older Help circa 199X worked better.

Suggestion is to allow Search to find %xx-related topics in any tab and find the exact %xx topic
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I don't know if this helps, but I find both the alphabetical list of format codes and the alphabetical list of functions and subroutines contained within FTN95.CHM to be probably the most useful and complete parts of the file.

I have considered writing a small CWP program to open FTN95.CHM at the appropriate points, but only laziness stops me. I have also found the searching and indexing in the help file to be limited value. SO don't search, go straight to the alphabetical list.

I go to those places when I know what I want to use, but can't remember how to use it. When I don't know what facilities there are in CWP, I read the ENH file!

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... don't get me going on the deficiencies in the forums search facility !
It's frankly atrocious imo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: