forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Problems with PM-ing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: A Few Problems with PM-ing Reply with quote

To Paul, or indeed anyone else who might have experience as admin or user of other forums using the same 'forum system':-

I'm having a few problems (again) with PM-ing, and I found very little in the FAQ on PMing and nothing related, and I also recall seeing recently a few people are, so here are my observations and questions (well thought s really as i don't expect answers to be necessarily available as we're talking about things out of the control of Silverfrost) :-

1. when I went to PM recently a long time after the last one, I saw a ver y old message still in my Outbox !!! (now deleted as there was no point in sending it after so long).

Why do messages sometimes not 'go' ?

2. I've just sent a new message (DanRRight its to you !) it's still sitting in my Outbox.
I've noticed that messagesdon't ever seem to 'go' very quickly.

How often does the 'system' we're using look (in theory) in and clear eveyones outboxes by sendingthe messages ? Hourly ? , Daily ? ... or how oft.doth ye olde postman call ?
Donut UK users get guaranteed same day delivery , well up to 95% or whatever, just like the GPO (well, whatever they call it these days) ? Wink

3. When a certain user's PM inbox is full why doesn't the 'system' send an associated eror message back tothe sender so he/she knows ?

4. If I try to find a user (as a check) it doesn't find it, even though I enter the right username !

Why might that be ?

5. I got the following error message when clicking the 'Preview' button:
"make_filename(): Error - file privmsgs_preview.tpl does not exist"

What's that all about ?

6. My Sentbox was 76 % full, my Outbox was 26% full .
I thought the problems sending might possibly be something to do with the problems sending due to a bug having eyed that (24% + 76 %) is just over the 100% (probably just co-incidence but you never know) . So, I've now moved all those messages to Savebox which becomes 64% full !!!

What are the actual limits on each box size ?

Could there possibly be maybe a 'total boxes size limit': s(inbox) + s(Sentbox) +s(Outbox) + s(Savebox) for each individual user which could trigger 'space' problems ?

I know hat might seem like a stupid Q, butI have seen this sort of thing before believe it or not (not on forums, where Ionce sorked where the total of everyone's filespace was greater than the total filespace available !!! boy did that cause problems .
So, finally .....

Does the messageing system possibly maybe have a similar 'global 'all user limit' for the group which is being exceeded ???
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued .....

7. related to 2. above .... Dan has received my message ! (yippydoodah)

Could it be that messages are only 'sent' when a user checks his mailboxes !? (in this case when Dan saw my comment above on this post).

i.e. they are only actually sent in full at that time (with just a header initially sent ). I guessthe setup could be a way of knowing that the message has been 'picked up' (i.e. the message disappearing from your outbox acts as a read receipt) . If it's still in your sentbox it means the person hasn't checked his mail .

I guess what it relies on is users checking their message boxes on a regular basis ! .. .and those users not having full mailboxes of course !

... which leads us to ...

8. If you check your mailboxes and you have a full 'Inbox' (for example) and someone has 'sent' you a message, is there any kind of a warning message received to that effect and that it was unable to be transferred ?
(this hasn't happened to me yet so I have no idea)
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, because i get messages not very often i also check mailbox rarely. The PhpBB system should probably set to remind about new message into the face as soon as you login.
Sending messages and organization of Inboxes and Outboxes indeed is a little bit inconvenient in such types of boards
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get an email notification when someone sends a PM as I have the
'Notify on New Private Message' option in 'Profile' activated.

I don't remember if this is the default or not but it certainly helps.

Nevettheless it would be nice if the board had a flashing icon (maybe with a loud buzzer sound) when you logged on and there were messages awaiting !

I guess the php system is a little antiquated though.

Another thing also cropped up again today, I got the following message when I sent a PM:-

"Ran into problems sending mail. Response 421 Server is busy Try again later
Debug Mode
Line 124
File smtp.php "

.. and yet THE MESSAGE WAS SENT !!!!!!
Odd.

AND ... it also happened when I posted this message, so it's not just related to PM's !!!!!!
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems. Was unable to send you PM for an hour. Busy time in UK when in California 9am?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I sent you a PM in November and it is still in my outbox. Have you seen it arrive yet ?

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
With surprise found it in my mailbox, don't remember i had reading it. May be some other message came and yours was missed? The system should inform that message is still new, is it doing that ?

Or may be besides keys, phone, wallet and glasses i started losing also messages? Another possible explanation (to stop more and more blaming myself for total disorganization which grew over all possible limits) is that we had one of our grant reviews next day and i was in crazy state a week before and still recovering few days after Sad . Last couple years this somehow became like a chronic chasing race to catch accelerating and always squeezing from hands time. You should know my email, better use it next time!
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
you're message was sent ! even though you probably got the same error message I did.
I received it 7 times ! (presumeably you tried it 7 times and got thr fail message.
A good tip here is when you get the fail send message, check your Outbox and if it's in there then it's ready to go, despite the message.
I still have no idea how often peoples outboxes are checked and messages sent though.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
yes all was exactly as you described.
Today though sending works fine.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have message in Outbox since 11pm last might (now 17h here) almost 24 hours again.
Problem seems to be random.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent OK again today.

Plus did you notice notification of "New private message waiting you in your mailbox" ? Very nice! Good job, Silverfrost
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I didn't where does that appear Dan ?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appeared ones you login. But when login clicking on link in email notification it did not (which is probably reasonable).
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, any chance of getting someone to review/explain/fix all the observations I made in my original post ?
The behaviour is beginning to bug me after encountering problems again using the Preview button, and the unexplained delays in sending are a pain.
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum system is now quite an old version of phpBB. We (I) need to find some time to upgrade it to the latest version and hope its idiosyncrasies will go away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: