forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Access Violation When Running with Windows 8.1 Operating Sys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

For my problem I list a brief description of the map :
Code:
Linker Map of named.exe  Wed Mar 25 07:33:12 2015

Image base = 400000   Image align = 1000     File align = 200     

Stack = 3200000  Heap = 100000 

Entry point _SALFStartup at 00605bc0

00400000  header                                  Linker defined

Address   Name                                     File in which defined

Code

00401000    SRSMAIN                                  .......

00401000    main                                     .......

00401000    __clearwin                               .......
00606d70    WritePrivateProfileStringA               C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll

Uninitialised Data

00607000    __ctype_ptr                              C:\PROGRA~2\SILVER~1\FTN95\salflibc.lib (/0             )
                                                        (\cpplib\nt_dll\salfstar.obj)
03e2a000  end                                     Linker defined

Executable section map:

Section   Base      Length    Flags   

.text     00401000  00205d80  60000020
.bss      00607000  03359dac  c0000080
.comment  03961000  00001d7a  00000a00
.data     03963000  00324b50  c0000040
.rdata    03c88000  00000038  40000040
.idata    03c89000  00001283  c0000040
.rsrc     03c8b000  000aa378  40000040
.CRT      03d36000  0000000c  c0000040
.salfmap  03d37000  0000301f  40000040
.salfdbg  03d3b000  000ecbc0  42000040
.salfsys  03e28000  00000018  c0000040
.salfvc   03e29000  0000002c  c0000040
.reloc    03e2a000  00000000  42000040

Hoping there may be something to trigger a response.

As I say, a specific sequence of events - 4 clicks - will guarantee a crash, with the Windows message as DW describes. Once in SDBG, the code runs fine,

Thanks, Steve
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

If you are able to send me all of your code then I will aim to investigate the problem as time allows.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Your load map shows end as hex:03e2a000, which is decimal 65,183,744. This is about 62 megabytes, which is nowhere near the limit of memory use.
My thought of running out of memory does not apply.

My next approach would be to compile with /check and see what might happen. If the graphics does not work, you could try /debug and see if the stack dump identifies the problem.

Access violation suggests you are addressing outside you allowed memory. This can be either:
* you are addressing an array out of bounds, or
* the stack has been overwritten in some way; typically due to inconsistency between the subroutine call list and the subroutine expected arguments

An approach I have tried is to collect all the source code into a single file and compile with /check. It may show the argument list inconsistency.

There is a lot of scope for where this error could be !

John
dfwlms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Can't Make ZOOM Work on Windows 8.1 Reply with quote

During the past week or so, I've struggled to get ZOOM working on Windows 8.1, making a few structural changes, increasing ZOOM's run priority, running in the safe mode, and using the debugger. Executables (Checkmate and Release) built on the Windows 7 machine run flawlessly on that machine and on a Windows XP machine. Executables built on a Windows 8.1 machine run flawlessly on a Windows 7 machine (probably on the XP machine too).

The error found by the debugger, after I'd operated the program for quite a while (clicking buttons), was almost surely a secondary result of the unknown primary error. The debugger thought that there were too many %bg commands. The code belies this, and if there was such a coding error, it would provoke a standard run-time system error (which never occurs). The failure is always manifested by the pop-up "ZOOM.exe has stopped working..." window, with no details provided.

The Windows 8.1 machine is the problem (new DELL with fourth-generation I3 single core processor). I've exhausted all approaches I can think of and am about willing to just reluctantly forget Windows 8.1.

The following download contains a synopsis of what I've tried, a listing of a routine that created the last window before one of the failures, and a screen shot of the failure. Any suggestions from those more capable than I (they are legion) will be appreciated.

The link is: http://trajectorysolution.com/Windows8-Problem.zip
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I too have experienced the problems you describe on my new Dell notebook which has Win 8.1 OS.
I would guess that the "ZOOM.exe has stopped working..." response you are seeing is because the program is waiting for something to happen. I get a similar message! It can be that the program is actually running and has not completed the calculation that is required to perform, but more likely it is waiting on some system response.
The frustrating think about these problems, is you start to blame all sorts of things you don't understand, such as incompatible "drivers" that need updating.
All we know is that something is not working the same as before and it is associated with moving to Win 8.1. The problem with using get_filtered_file@ (which started with Win 7!) is similar to this, but the solution is still elusive.

The problem can actually be a bug in our software, that has not been identified until now, although assuming a bug in Win 8.1 is more palatable.
Until we can identify where the program is waiting, we'll never know, so keep looking.

John
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... could it be one of these ...... General Segmentation Fault Error ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_protection_fault

What graphics card does the laptop have (precise type/model number) ?
Have you tried updating the graphics driver(s) as I've seen fro ma quick google that there seems to be some issues on for example AMD graphics cards with Windows 8.1. just a thought.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks for your advice about compiling into a single file. I'll give it a go, but I do suspect an array out of bounds problem. A real misery, sorry, mystery !

Paul,
Thanks for the offer, but there is a rather lot of code !
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul gave an answer in another thread that may help - a control variable has gone out of scope (in his case the control variable for %lw). When you move to a different version of Windows, MS compounds your difficulties by re-using released memory in different ways, so something that worked before only did so by happy coincidence.You can at least check for this by making everything as static as possible using SAVE.

This will completely mess you up if your code needs every last byte it can get its hands on!

In my experience, control variables and the like need to be in COMMON blocks that also lie in the main program with a SAVE, and this stops all manner of odd behaviours.

Eddie
dfwlms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: I Learned About the SAVE Statement Late in Life Reply with quote

Eddie, Since first using FTN95 in about 2007, I've always "set global save" and "zeroize saved variables" in the project configuration setup. I believe that these were the default conditions for the FORTRAN programs I developed throughout the 60's and 70's (and maybe 80's and 90's also)... I'd never even heard of the SAVE statement until I retired in 2007. The programs I develop in retirement typically don't require much memory by today's standards. The comprehensive ZOOM trajectory optimization program (in-work upgrade) typically uses less than 10 MBytes of memory (earlier versions of the program used lots more because the dimensions of some arrays were much larger than needed).

The "ZOOM.exe has stopped working" failure still persists on Windows 8.1. Also, the latest version of Plato (personal version) has also been the victim of this failure a couple of times while running ZOOM.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

The message "ZOOM.exe has stopped working" can be a bit misleading. What it could be saying is that it is not responding, but is busy working away and does not want to be disturbed; come back later !
I certainly have sympathy for this response.
Windows 8 has a few of these misleading messages!

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had "Program stopped working " message to appear on the screen by itself without the obvious reason like array size violation by the running code or writing on screen (or screen and file, or screen and internal file) in two threads using Clearwin+ simultaneously when use fullmouseinput etc. Is this message after your actions trying to shuffle the frozen program with the right mouse in task bar?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a definitive response but my impression so far...

If Windows 8/8.1 reports that a program has stopped working then it means that an exception has been raised. I suspect that this is over-riding the normal Silverfrost report.

If you are happy to edit the registry then run Regedit.exe and find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting"

Find or create the item "DontShowUI" and set its value to 1 (numeric one).
dfwlms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

The "stopped working" condition has always occurred when a button is clicked. It's never occurred when the program is heavily-involved in calculating, such as calculating nominal and perturbed rocket trajectories.

It seems then that the problem is associated with some of the upgrades being incorporated.... those dealing with the displays of mission summary and rocket-stage summary information. These displays have been modified and now consist of a combination of %eb commands to display files that were just written, drawing commands to create a graphic of the rocket, and %^bt and %bt button commands.

The displays are created in this way so that the user can be reminded of the rocket configuration and can copy the displayed data into the keyboard buffer with the click of a button.

Before executing a %eb command, a previously written file is read, record by record, as a series of strings, which are accumulated into a single string for display. The end-of-record characters, char(13) and char(10), are appended to the end of each record, and the end-of-file character, char(0), is appended to the end of the single string. The %eb command displays the data so that it looks just like the file from which the information was read.

The length (an integer) of the resultant single string is input as an %eb argument. The HELP info says that a zero can be input and that the software will then figure out how much memory is needed for the string. But, this option hasn't worked for me.

This display method was used in earlier program versions for the display of lift, drag aerodynamic model files, and the earlier versions ran OK on a Windows 8.1 tablet (at least I never experienced a problem).

A difference with this upgrade is that the displayed windows also include a drawing of the rocket.

As I've mentioned before, using the button clicks to display the summary information can sometimes work properly for many clicks before the failure occurs on the Windows 8.1 machines (tablet and desktop). On the tablet, though, I don't get the "stopped running" window.... the program just disappears.

The program runs flawlessly with Checkmate on my Windows 7 machine (and on my Windows XP machine too, with an older version of Salflibc.dll). Even an executable created on the Windows 8.1 desktop runs flawlessly on the Windows 7 machine (at least no error has been experienced).

Paul, I will try your suggestion regarding the registry. However, given my lack of competence in dealing with the computer's inner workings, I may not be able to meaningfully interpret the results.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Quote:
A difference with this upgrade is that the displayed windows also include a drawing of the rocket.

Just a guess, but maybe you are falling foul of the graphics window handle business that catches so many people out.

Please can you post the line or lines of code where you set up your %gr for the rocket? How many %gr controls do you have? When I see that, I will possibly have some more questions.

Eddie
dfwlms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to Eddie (This message didn't show up in my Sent Box) Reply with quote

Eddie,

I don't specify handles in the %gr commands. Two source files and screen shots of three ZOOM windows can be downloaded at:

http://trajectorysolution.com/zoom-info.zip

There are several subroutines and function routines in each file.

The Mission Synopsis window is produced by the examsel.f95 code, and the Mission Summary and Stage Summary windows are produced by the summaryOut.f95 code. The code in these files calls some subroutines that are not contained in these files, but maybe you can get an idea of how the graphics are being defined. If you need to see more, just let me know.

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at this. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: