forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using PLATO on WXP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usn1954

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Using PLATO on WXP Reply with quote

I am attempting to use Plato to configure and use some commercially published numerical methods.

Specifically: Numerical Recipes ,in Fortran 2nd Cambridge U Prss '94 , along with the Example book ("drivers" for the recipes as subroutines").
Numerical Methods for Engineers 2nd Chapman & Hall/CRC '06 also with "driver" examples.

I have machine readable source code . Both f77 and f90 for the first and f95 for the second. I chose to begin with these because
the first has been a classic for over a decade, and the second because it also contained exact instructions for creating a "library" and batch files to automate running with G95. Every one I tried with the second got the results as shown in the book.

I also have Introduction to Programming with Fortran, coverage of F90, F95, f03 and f77 Springer '06
and fortran 95/2003 explained Oxford U Press '06

I tried putting the recipes driver and all the called subroutines and the three module and utility files into the main project directory. Three mod files were created for the utilitirs , no compiler errors, but the linker "didn't understand" one of the mod files.

The G95 process involved making a "library" (*.a file) and then referencing it in a compiler command along with the pgm source.

Thr help files for Plato and FTN95 don't really cover this type of organization. I put all the files in the main directory because it wouldn't allow me to open the include directoy. Browsing allow only directory selection with textual file selection.

The books show typical outputs from a few compilers including Silverfrost, but don't cover the deails of submission.

Is there any detail documentation to cover PLato or tne individual compiler, linker, etc that are buried behind Plato explaining this apprently common organization.

BTW rooting through the files I found a simple one file "test" program, which I loaded and ran successfuly, however if I moved the .exe
file to the root directory and ran it, I got no errors and the flash screen, but if any screen output occurred before it jumped back to Windows, it was too fast to see.

HELP

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Using PLATO on WXP Reply with quote

Carl

All of the documentation is in the help file FTN95.chm that can be accessed from the Help menu when running Plato3. This includes a "Getting started" section.

The usual approach is to create and "Project" and then use the process described for adding existing "source" files. Do not add the "include" files in this way. Plato does this for you. The "source" files contain your Fortran programs, subprograms and modules.

If you have any problems doing this I suggest that you try to find someone locally who is familiar with programming from an IDE like Plato.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: