forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

get_filtered_file@ - MUSTEXIST =0 does not work
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be closer to the true reason. I increased the HEAP and STACK (dramatically) from the default values, and now, everything is working, both in CheckMate and Release.

Number of files in the folder?, Probably.....
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you've confused me with your 'Update in place' and then you talk about 'rolling back' ! being the reason for return of the problem ! The 180 'updates' I assume were provoked by the auto-Windows update prog AFTER you had done the 'Update in Place' ? Surely an 'update' shouldn't have any additional 180 (Take note Mr Gates if you're following this thread Wink )
I think you're a very brave man to have gone ahead with that 'technique' of solving this problem ! IMO Cross-relating a 'solution' to one problem with another 'similoar' problem is dodgy at best, suicidal at worst. You have to be extremely careful to even contemplate it, or as is usual we all have a tendancy to not RTFM and RTFMA, same goes with posts on forums in general.

As for the problem itself, HEAP and STACK weren't changed by the others for whom the code worked fine so are you confident that's the real reason/solution ? How many files in a folder are we talking about ? I wouldn't have thought there would be a limit and looking at it logically why then does it work in command line mode ?

Looking at it logically, the problem is something to do with CHECKMATE, not Windows, since it works fine for you in command line mode (I'm assuming that's still true ?).
Now, You have 7 parameters alongside CHECKMATE !
So, why not try running it with 1 parameter at a time in turn first, just to see if a particular parameter triggers the problem on your machine. It might help pinpoint a bit more (or not) where the problem lies.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... just as an aside, thank you for brightening up my day reading the link you posted above.
It starts of brilliantly with a :-
" I have Office 2010 installed and a host of 3rd party apps. ..... , if I am using Open Office and am in Write or Calc and go to save ....".
I bet that product 'loyalty' endeared the poster to the MS Support lady and inspired her to put 100% into solving the problemo.. ROTFL.

I've also never quite understood the logic of having both Word and Openoffice (or similar) installed in practical terms , once the 'honeymoon' trial of Open<best thing since sliced, err.., MSOffice> because if you have Office and still prefer it then you don't need Open<thingy> and v.v. .
So logically you would remove one or the other.

Then at the end I was rolling in the aisles with the last commenter's :
" ... I do not have a windows 7 disc but recently upgraded to Windows 7 professional .... ". Another very brave person if they upgraded 'on-the-fly across the net, especially if it was from an earlier version of Windows ! You have a kindred spirit there ! LOL :O)

Anyway, end of digression, back to solving your problem (hopefully) .....
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks for the reply.

I have to admit that rolling back Win7 was a "Hail Mary" kind of thing to do. I did not do it lightly, since I know the ramifications if the process failed. I did make sure I had a good backup before I started!! Nevertheless, with no changes to the code, it ran as CheckMate, and it didn't before. So, I thought, the problem is something that an update could fix.

OK, that was not correct; so, what else do we try?

Another post on this Forum suggested that, if the directory were quite full, it was possible that a dialog could not be opened at all if there were insufficient dynamic space into which the contents could be placed. This was more likely, since my test folder contains 677 files and 12 additional folders. Not really all that many, but, maybe, ....

So, without recompiling anything, I changed the stack and heap settings for the CheckMate version to be smaller than the default. Re-linked, and it worked! Reset to default, doesn't work. Made it 3x larger, it worked. Reset to default, didn't work.

So, I am at somewhat of a loss to figure out just what is going on. Had I tried this before the Update in Place, I could have saved myself some time (and a few headaches).

This is not the only odd occurrence I have had with CheckMate. Just a couple of days ago, a section of code (user error trap) got invoked, and the code crashed without any traceback to my code. By adding tracing code, I deduced that it was my error message dialog display. This has been working for 3 months with no changes. Yet, now, problems. By removing the call to SOUND@, the problem went away. I replaced it with a call to BEEP@. I lose my cool alert sound, but it doesn't crash.

I must point out that the RELEASE version of this code never had these problems. Both had, at that time, the default heap and stack sizes. That is why I went searching for heap/stack references in the Forum. I have yet to return to linking the old SOUND@ code with my current heap/stack changes in place, but I will, at some point.

One doesn't wish to have code being tested by an independent, non-technical user and not have a good traceback to find the weaknesses/faults!!
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having problems with get_filtered_file@ since I moved to Windows 7 in 2011.
My impression is this is a Microsoft Windows problem, where the routine that get_filtered_file@ calls, is causing the memory "leakage/grabing" problem.
At present, the only way I can overcome it is to either:
* reduce the amount of memory my graphics program uses, or
* don't use get_filtered_file@, but give the file name on the command line.

Perhaps 64-bit will overcome this, but at present, there must be a fundamental problem with get_filtered_file@.
The better solution would be for get_filtered_file@ to use a different (newer) windows file opening routine.
My reading about this indicates that there is a newer routine available, but probably only for Win 7 and later O/S.

Has anyone found a solution to this ?

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClearWin+ already uses latest Open/Save standard dialog. Not because the ClearWin+ code has changed but because the related API call defaults to the newer version.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

That is disappointing news. I was holding out hope that this problem would be fixed with that approach, but you say it has already happened.
I still found this problem with code I compiled last week, when I forgot to make the arrays smaller for the version that uses get_filtered_file@.

I will again review the array sizes and see what the limit is.
It is an annoying bug as the program just hangs when I try to open a file. I'm never sure what is causing the problem on the computer I am testing and how portable the solution is, given other computers will have different libraries and network drives, assuming these are the cause of the problem.

My array size approach had meant sacrificing 100's of megabytes, which is a big chunk of memory for the file opening function.

I just hoped that after one of the many Microsoft updates, the problem would go away.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: