forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win7/OpenGL/Listview/Nvidia crash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem is "fixed" if you call mask_underflow@() as the first executable statement in the main program. In the light of all the discussion about masking underflows, I am not sure that this is a good fix but it may serve your purpose.

Basically, Windows API calls (from ClearWin+) sometimes require a clean floating point stack (when underflows are unmasked which is the default).

A better solution might be to do the masking only for the Windows API dlls but this would require some tricky programming (for us and may not be possible for you). However, in theory you can handle the underflows and denormals yourself by using TRAP_EXCEPTION@ and CLEAR_FLOAT_UNDERFLOW@.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mask_underflow is not an option since it affects numerical results (discussed in this thread or elsewhere in this forum).

Quote:
Basically, Windows API calls (from ClearWin+) sometimes require a clean floating point stack (when underflows are unmasked which is the default).

We've tried various clears already (FCLEX...) inside the callback, but there does not seem to be a problem inside the callback routine except for the generated underflow triggering a "bad" exception handler that crashes the program. It strangely seems related to the %og control (which doesn't have any real functionality in the test case).

Any chance this and similar probmels are fixed for the next release?

Thanks for the help!
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Sebastian wrote:

Any numerical calculation, any gui-to-data conversion, anything that expects numbers to pass a "equal to zero" test with a non-denormal boundary will not work as it did before. This is unacceptable.

Not quite got the real dangers. Can you elaborate that on real example?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any chance this and similar problems are fixed for the next release

I will log this for investigation but a fix before the next release seems unlikely.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an undocumented function that may be useful in this context.
It resets the floating point stack (includes emitting finit and fround) and clears the exception record. It does not emit the fclex instruction.

This is how it is declared and called...

Code:
      c_external FPRESET@ '_fpreset'
      call FPRESET@()
Sebastian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
There is an undocumented function that may be useful in this context.

Thanks, though I could not get it to avoid the crash. The fpu stack/cw/sw seems just fine in itself when looking at the registers and disassembler, it's the exception handler (which is outside of user code/availability) that crashes the application, and which seems to behave differently whether there's an %og control or not (the latter case doesn't crash at all...).

Quote:
Not quite got the real dangers. Can you elaborate that on real example?

As I said you can construct any example where multiplying two small numbers results in a different value depending on the mask setting. Changing the behaviour of tested code in that way may or may not be a "danger" to you.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i can not construct such example which would be considered as a valid Fortran and not a programmer's fault intentionally touching gray area of denormals and asking for trouble, why i am asking for example.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradual underflow is beneficial or crucial for some types of algorithms.
Feel free to read on
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/ARITH_17U.pdf
and similar. This may or may not be an obvious or hidden problem in your code when changing the underflow mechanics.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just confirmed my point. All the examples supplied there had some (very small, completely negligible) value in the past when single and double precision arithmetics was way different in CPU speed. Last thing - double requirement for the memory size of double precision values - will die soon too when Silverfrost makes 64 bit compiler with its eventually 4 billion times larger memory limits.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relevance is not regarding speed or memory consumption but numerical precision. As I said if it's not a problem in your code then that's fine, I can't state the same for huge amounts of legacy code that may be even ever-unnoticedly use the properties of denormals' precision.
Either way if you really want to continue the discussion please open a new thread and try not to derail this one which is about a pretty obvious and reproducable bug with default compiler settings that we'd really like to get fixed rather than worked around since it hits us every now and then pretty hard. Thanks.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what I was talking about? You get precision and don't lose speed while memory is not an issue to you if you move your stuff to double or extra precision and the problem is solved while the bug is investigated. I am also interested in solving all sorts if crashes and slowdowns associated with underflows. I pulled my hairs due to that for first time 20 years back with exp(-x) while x-->100. And 2 years back with multithreading. And as recent as a month ago. But in my recent case crash took place when I incorrectly used real*4, real*8 and real*10

Interesting if compile crashing code with Intel compiler and Clearwin. Does it crash? Can anyone with Intel IVF confirm? If not then why don't take Intel's solution, Paul? Is it possible to disassemble Intel's code? If underflows is design issue of FTN95 then default has to be changed to the one like in Intel, i.e. to ignore the underflows.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is *not* limited to single precision, and speed is not an issue anyways. And it's not a bug. Really would appreciate not hijacking this thread again though.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTFL. Whatever. But is this your OWN personal thread? With your over-demanding attitude I'd better put you on ignore.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome, though any constructive help for the problem is appreciated from anybody.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian and Dan,

I think it is often good to have comments that don't agree with the main part of the thread. They can identify a different way of looking at the problem, which could prompt an alternative path for solving it.

While I don't agree with Dan on a number of issues, I do find his different approach to be helpful in understanding the problem and giving it some context.

I look forward to the diversity of views form all users of the forum.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: