forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there any subroutine to store all the memory variables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shahram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Is there any subroutine to store all the memory variables Reply with quote

Is there any routines that stores all the variables inside a program.

I just need the data segment, those are located in common blocks and those not located on common blocks.

Last edited by Shahram on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's a job you do for yourself, saving the bits you want to save.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any compiler not necessarily Fortran which have done that? I find it as very very very useful feature. I've heard in 70th about some IBM OS which has done a blind dump of everything in RAM memory to the disk. That was useful for continuation of interrupted tasks. But ability of dumping of all variables and loading them back would be even more useful specifically for debugging.
I have done that myself in the early times of my code when it was small and manageable but currently I'm completely lost in the thousands of variables and parameters.
Even then finding some hidden bug took me weeks of painful comparisons. Now I stopped adding variables to the dumping subroutines and just do frequent Fortran text backups to have a chance to return back quickly because finding some superbug became slave's on plantation job. This is also why I use this compiler not any other, I'd stopped programming long ago with bad diagnostics Fortrans, not even mentioning C.
jalih

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

DanRRight wrote:
Was there any compiler not necessarily Fortran which have done that? ...ability of dumping of all variables and loading them back would be even more useful specifically for debugging.

PL/I supports data directed input and output.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should in theory be a 'trivial' task no?
Of course it depends when you want the variable values, the 3 logical ones being..... at the beginning, at the end ... and of course any point inbetween Smile .

Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a routine I would have thought.
I once wrote a Fortran prog to output a list of all variables in a program.
Then just a question of just printing all values to a fixed format.
Depends of course on what the reason is exactly for doing the dump.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and of course Windows does this when you hibernate.

E
brucebowler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATLAB has that capability...
rrobe71907

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

DanRRight wrote:
Was there any compiler not necessarily Fortran which have done that? I find it as very very very useful feature. I've heard in 70th about some IBM OS which has done a blind dump of everything in RAM memory to the disk. That was useful for continuation of interrupted tasks. But ability of dumping of all variables and loading them back would be even more useful specifically for debugging.
I have done that myself in the early times of my code when it was small and manageable but currently I'm completely lost in the thousands of variables and parameters.
Even then finding some hidden bug took me weeks of painful comparisons. Now I stopped adding variables to the dumping subroutines and just do frequent Fortran text backups to have a chance to return back quickly because finding some superbug became slave's on plantation job. This is also why I use this compiler not any other, I'd stopped programming long ago with bad diagnostics Fortrans, not even mentioning C.

You may be thinking of something called a CORE DUMP. Back in the day, when a program abended, the system dumped the contents of memory (called the core) to $STDLIST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: