forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

%gr sizing to full width of window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: %gr sizing to full width of window Reply with quote

Hi. I'm having some fun trying to get a %gr control to completely fill a resizeable window. The %gr follows a %pv and has the user_resize option, and the window also contains menu, toolbar and a status bar. This is a program that has been around for years, but the advent of 4k and high-dpi displays has highlighted a problem.

Up until now the %gr has been given a size that makes it the widest control, so the window sets its width based on the gr. I'm now finding there is a gap to the right of the gr when Windows font scaling (dpi) is increased. I guess this is because the fonts used in the status bar, title etc. have increased in size and make the title and status bar wider than the gr, hence the gap. The quick-fix is to increase the size of the gr, but I can't just have a fixed number any more as the range of possible screen resolutions & dpi settings is too large. I've fudged it for the moment by scaling the gr width based on the system dpi value, but I'm not entirely happy with that. Is there any way to tell the gr to fill the window, or maybe a way to set the gr width after the window has been created so ClearWin can lay out all the other controls first?

Here's a small example - running this at normal Windows "100%" scaling (96dpi) the gr fills the window. Up the Windows scaling to "125%" and a gap appears between the gr and the window edge:
Code:

winapp
  use mswin
  integer i
  character*48 title   ! length affects window width
  external draw

title = '%gr User Resize Test'
  i = winio@('%ww[no_border]&')
  i = winio@('%ca@&', title)
  i = winio@('%pv%^gr[blue,user_resize,rgb_colours]&',500L,500L,draw)
  i = winio@('%ob[status]%`48rs%cb', title)
end

integer function draw()
  use mswin
  integer x,y,resize

resize=clearwin_info@('GRAPHICS_RESIZING')
  if(resize .eq. 1)then
    x=clearwin_info@('GRAPHICS_WIDTH')
    y=clearwin_info@('GRAPHICS_DEPTH')
    call draw_line_between@(10,10,x-10,y-10,rgb@(255,0,0))
  endif
  draw=2
end function draw
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the size of the screen by using this routine:

IXRES = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN)

(and similarly for Y)

Set the size in %gr accordingly after experimenting with how many pixels to subtract for borders, menus, toolbars. Oddly, I found adding a few to the X dimension was helpful in wiping out the bit I didn't want, but you subtract some from Y. The pixels taken by menus varies depending on the default font, and thus between different versions of Windows. In my case I often do without the toolbar if IXRES <801 (those 10" netbooks) or put it down the side instead of across the top if the screen is widescreen format.

This trick doesn't work if the computer is widescreen but connected to a non-widescreen projector, as Windows tells you the native size of the system monitor!

Eddie
acw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan and you can get the widths of other window elements from GetSystemMetrics too. I'd be a bit concerned about multi-monitor setups and any other unexpected Windowsy things.

For my app I've ended up creating a dummy window off-screen at startup with the same key elements that dictate width, then using GetClientRect in the start callback to get the actual size. The dummy is then closed and the proper one created using the client rect dimensions to set the gr.

What would be great is a simple clearwin function to change the size of a gr after creation...

Alan
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that defect/annoyance has to be resolved somehow.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimonitor systems are a pain, because if you don't tell Clearwin@ where to put a dialog box it is put slap on the overlap.

The issue only arise sif you want maximised on startup.

Eddie
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to control where the dialog box or pop-up box will appear?
I sometimes find that if I am working on the second screen, the dialogue or pop-up will appear on the other screen and I don't know why the program is not responding !!

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the context but you may be able to use %sc and %hw together with MOVE_WINDOW@.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

You can set the position of a dialog box with %sp, and get its position with %gp. Using the latter on closure of a dialog box gets you the coordinates to position it where you had it last time. There is a thread somewhere on the forum with you and I discussing managing 2 windows - this only relates to dialog boxes - for popup menus Paul said he'd look at it in June last year.

In my view, a popup menu should appear on the same screen as the point that invoked it.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: