forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KernelBase,Dll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stfark1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: KernelBase,Dll Reply with quote

Running Silverfrost fortran on several windows systems, win 7 Ultimate, Win 8, Win 8.1. Recently been experiencing stack overflows and problems with the system routine kernelbase.dll. Have tried many solutions to no avail, ultimately getting the same errors when I try to "step into" using the Plato debugger. I do not get the problem when I "start Program". After much experimentation, have come to the conclusion that the Silverfrost fortan system does not run well on the 64bit windows systems. I re-installed Win 7 Ultimate, 32 bit system and so far, haven't had problems. This is not to say that I won't in future but so far, keeping fingers crossed. I know that I experience "step into" with Plato debugger in win 8 and win 8.1 as well as Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit systems. Therefore conclusion is that win 8 and win 8.1 are 64 bit systems. In conclusion, has anyone else experienced these kinds of problems? (only with 64 bit, windows systems? please let me know) Sid Kraft
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid,
I run most larger programs outside Plato. I use Plato to edit, then have alternative batch files in a dos box for different make styles; check debug or opt.
I have not found any problems (of the type you describe) with Win 7_64 or Win 8.1. I've run 64-bit OS exclusively since 2011 and XP_64 before that.

After using Win8.1 for 2 months, it has nothing to recommend. If there has been any technical improvements in Win 8.1, they should have released it as Win 7.1.
With 8.1, I always go straight to the desktop. I miss the simplicity of start > programs.
There is a similarity here to my thoughts on Fortran 2008 as I do not code in C..

John
stfark1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: John Cambell Reply with quote

Hi John: When you say you run programs outside of Plato, I assume that you generate a link module then go to command prompt and use it as an argument input to??? I have not done this way, can you debug this way, using "start Run" or "step into" and what would be the set of commands and in what environment. I am running a very large set of programs, used to be "linked" together and run on an IBM 360 mainframe. Now, with Silverfrost, do not need to overlay and all seems to run well, except for this "nagging" situation of getting stack overflows and kernelbase.dll problems, please advise, Sid Kraft
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid,

While I use Plato to modify code and compile single files; for large programs I have another cmd.exe box, where I use a batch file to compile and link, then SDBG to test (or just run the program with /check)
I might be wrong, but if I run a program in Plato, then if it crashes, SDBG is started. I think this is what you are doing, however I only use that for small test programs.
With larger programs and /check compile, I always find that the memory size limitations make your approach throw up lots of related problems I don't need to solve.

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Plato (using batch files I adjusted years ago. May use it in future because amount of conflicting modules is growing leaving me with double compilation). Having no problems with FTN95 with Windows8 64bit. May be it has some rear problem I mentioned above in previous thread -- during debug the popup window starts to open by itself at the mouse position -- but that happens also in Windows 7, never had that with XP. As to OS itself, I have no problem after Windows 8.1 service pack, the OS is more useful then all other MS OSes, though initially was a disaster (and Ballmer got for that in the butt).
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

You said: "I have no problem after Windows 8.1 service pack, the OS is more useful then all other MS OSes"

I am using both Win 7_64 and Win 8.1. I am yet to find any feature I like on 8.1 that is not in Win 7.
Are you able to post or email me some clues as I would like to know more of any improvements that would help me use Win 8.1.

I have found many annoying little problems !! Win 8.1 user interface version of Adobe Reader and the Cloud Outlook are lacking the detail I am use to, as they have been designed for a blunt finger, rather than a mouse. I am suspecting this is a general trend, which I consider a "Regression"

I would appreciate learning about what you have found.

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

May be it sounded like 8 is way way better then 7 but it is not. Actually both OSes are not much different as usually.

One thing is of key importance: the Alt+Tab in Windows 7 is dead broken. You just used this or that app and tried to use it again, Alt+Tab'ed it, and ... damn...you found it two rows below or even in 17 row at the end! Even if I turn it back to XP style the right position of the last called windows is still always messed up. That makes me furious since I have sometimes a hundred of open tasks. Some obvious bug is somewhere.

Other things are minor, they are just conveniences, like App Store is easy to access, tablet mode is here, it annoys initially, but sometimes it's faster to find app this way, just use smaller icons and then Ctrl+MouseScroll to get just text list. The security like antivirus updates is just one click away etc. Basically, Win8 is approaching simplicity and convenience of a smartphone.

The Task Manager despite its visual vulgar primitivism (and possibly bugs specifically in the area of interest of both of us - showing memory allocation) is actually more informative. It adds closer to you with less clicking info about all disks usage, WiFi/Ethernet usage in case you use Win8 also in tablets, shows startup items. But it has also negative moments - you can not easily change running task priorities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: