forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clearwin vs Simpleplot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sospel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Clearwin vs Simpleplot Reply with quote

Hello !

Please, an answer to a "simple" question:

Which is the difference between "SIMPLEPLOT" and "CLEARWIN" soft ?

Thank you in advance !!

Sospel
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpleplot was a clever idea to bring higher level graphics and language within FTN95/FTN77/SCC and CWP then just the pixel manipulation or 3D polygon manipulation as in OpenGL of existing graphics libraries.

Within Clearwin+ Simpleplot offered even more simple %pl control code to make quick x-y plot with just a half of Fortran line.

Code:
      i=winio@('%pl[x_array]&',iwdh,ihgt,N,x,y)

Its plots do not look cool though. But.. If developers still controlled sources of Simpleplot library created by third party which then has abandoned the ship almost a decade ago (which is a big disaster for any software) Simpleplot would gain missing at the time of its development professional look of generated graphics still retaining its simplicity. It was just an iota from that not able to offer great looking fonts and few other minor things. It would then easily compete with Matlab or any other user friendly graphics.
sospel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DanRRight

Hello !

OK, this explanation suits me completely: it corresponds to what I suspected, without have the certainty of it. Thus, CLEARWIN is in a way a "wrapper" of SIMPLEPLOT, more modern and offering more possibility of adaptation to the new equipments ...

But this to the detriment of a legibility of the programs, because the use of format codes like %pl, %gr, .... seems me to follow the rule of Shadocks : " why make simple when we can make complicated " Wink

Example : i=winio@('%ff%nl%cn%tt[OK]') to write "OK" in a little button ...

Thank you again for your explanations, always well argued Smile

Cordially
Sospel
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are exactly what is missing in Simpleplot. Anyone can see how easy it was to fix ugly Simpleplot to look like a super Pro software. Just slavishly copying these exact designs would change it forever

1) Here are examples of almost ideal fonts, ideal frame and ideal tick marks taken in Origin graphics software. I posted it that large because from my point of view it is kind of a masterpiece made either by the pro or the one with the good artistic taste:

2) here are few examples of ideal designs for X-Y and surfaceplots taken from presentations and papers

3) Here are examples of ideal histograms and pie charts

4) Here is great looking color bar (color scale)

5) The ability to add image background or gradient or the shadow to entire plotting surface is easy like 2x2 and is also important. I do not have good examples at hand, here is quickly what i am talking about :

6) Here is an example of not boring colors, clearly in style.
Was it too hard to take similar colors instead of 4bit 16-color RGB palette like in Simpleplot demo examples?

7) ...and at the end here is what we get from Simpleplot %pl. Even tick marks are positioned badly, font is just Terminal or System and that's all.

But just few more options, few standard designs like above incorporated into %pl would make it preferable graphics software in our programs because Simpleplot in Fortran compiler is great idea and is truly easy to use. i have 20-30 places in the code where i hate it but still use %pl. I do not use full package of Simpleplot because it is similarly bad looking and slowly switching to my own amateurish home made software which still looks way better then Simpleplot.
sospel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DanRRight

Very convincing demonstration Very Happy

Cordially !
Sospel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: