forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Variable Multiple X-Y Plots
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and so does this mean that the 'limit' for screen size would then increase to approx. 50 'images' per mega working surface ?
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, DRAW_LINe is mentioned above but I can see no documentation about that (presumeably because it's a heritage commenad meant to be replaced by DRAW_LINE_BETWEEN ? Can you point me in the direction of the documentation as it would be interesting to see the difference between the two if they could be different.
also what about DRAW_POLYLINE ?
and how in general do we know what is INTEGER*" or INTEGER*4 , is this documented somewhere ?

Thanks.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... sorry, just caught up on the previous posts ...... so the limit would still apply for DRAW_POLYLINE then since it's an array input and must be INTEGER*2 ? Time to remove these limitations asap if possible I would think ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAW_POLYLINE@ is documented as using default integer (i.e. INTEGER*4) arrays. The documentation is in FTN95.chm and online.

INTEGER*4 means 4 byte (32 bit integer).

As noted elsewhere on this thread, with a few exceptions, all the old routines are available (with different names) with INTEGER*2 arguments replaced by INTEGER*4 arguments.

The way to remove the limitations is for users to use the newer names and not the old DBOS names.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Paul, I'll give all a try when I have a moment to spare. I'm intrigued to know why DanRRight considers the DRAW_LINE to be better ?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's simple, natural and "essential" like everything in Fortran (btw, due to these properties of Fortran language and all Fortran functions it will live forever never being obsolete or substituted by other languages). If also Fortran will have graphics inside its Standard, draw_line will be the #1 function there. The draw_line_between will never be there because it sounds like a desperate struggle to find different reasonable term then draw_line.

Also 72 character sources will live 50 years at least or more because most of libraries were written at the time of early Fortran. And based on my codes with a lot of graphics, the source readability is way better if you fit graphics command in one single line. You will have hard time doing that shortening names and math inside its arguments with draw_line_between as i struggle to fit in one line even draw_line. With 132-character sources this is less an issue, but you have to have good multimonitor setup (or soon 4K monitor) to have several editor panels open simultaneously for better visibility of complex sources. BTW, I just found completely forgotten several instances of draw_line_between in my codes but seems the fact that it sounds unnatural and cumbersome i preferred not not to use it

Last edited by DanRRight on Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: DBOS Ported Commands Documentation ? Reply with quote

Where exactly can I find documentation for using DRAW_LINE ?
I've onl y seen the overview given here:
http://www.silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/dbosfn/introduction.aspx
but there are no specific documentation for any of the commands.
Note also - in the link above the diamond symbols with the question mark all appear to be the same, so no way of knowing which category each command is applicable to !!!!!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The routines for drawing lines are here...

http://www.silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/overview/graphicsfunctions_lines_fill_.aspx

DRAW_LINE@ is no longer documented. You will need to find an old DBOS (hard copy) manual to find the documentation. If you do manage to do this and then test it out, you will find that the result is exactly the same as DRAW_LINE_BETWEEN@.

Theses old routines are no longer supported in the sense that we do not provide documentation for them. However, they do work perfectly well because internally they use the same code.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanRRight ...

I see exactly where you are coming from with your comments about 'simple and short being best'. Maybe DRAW_LINE has some 'hidden' 'secret' property noone knows about whereby you can draw a line but not between 2 points ?
Smile Smile

In the meantime ... you couldn't point me in the right direction of where I could find DBOS documentation could you ? .... or anyone else ?
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Laidler, thanks for your reply Paul about DRAW_LINE, I'll try to source a copy. However you forgot the bit of my question about the unclear triangle signs which are supposed to be different so as to indicate which category each DBOS command falls into .
How do we differentiate and decide what has to be changed or not when integrating heritage code ? What's your advice ? Is it easy to update the page in the documentation to clarify that.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone may still keep old Fortran77 manuals. I think I recycled them 3 years ago not being able to handle huge mess of different paper stuff i had. Should probably keep them, will be a treasure rarity few decades from now as the most innovating, most expensive, most unknown to the scientific and engineering public (because of most not advertised) Fortran compiler of all times Smile
IanLambley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the FTN77 distribution, there were a few files documenting the graphics, called GRAPHIC1.DOC, GRAPHIC2.DOC and GRAPHIC3.DOC plus a few more with the enhancements and use of the mouse.
I have copies of these from January 1996 if anyone wants then. Send me a PM with your e-mail to receive a copy.
Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: