forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Integer to Character type casting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

Hello,

I am attempting to convert a set of integers into their equivalent characters and append these characters to the end of some other text:

mycharvar='text'//char(J)

where J is an integer. When I print this i get a small rectangle (looks like an end of line character) instead of the converted integer I want.
I find this a bit bizarre- can anyone help?

Thanks

DM
brucebowler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

char(1) is equivalent to "Ctrl/A", not "1". char(49 [31 hex]) is equivalent to "1"
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply-

In that case, how do I convert

integer e.g. 1

to character e.g. '1'

DM
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

Add ICHAR('0') which is 48.

For J in the range 0 to 9 you can use

CHAR(ICHAR('0')+J)

Alternatively you can use an "internal" WRITE statement in which you write to a character variable.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

Hello again,

Attempting to use internal write to resolve the problem:

CHARACTER*10 BUSY1,BUSY2
INTEGER VALUE,IO_STAT,T

T=1
WRITE (FMT=*,UNIT=BUSY1,IOSTAT=IO_STAT) T
WRITE (FMT=*,UNIT=BUSY2,IOSTAT=IO_STAT) UPTIME(T)
WRITE(2,*) 'TURBINE'//BUSY1, BUSY2

The output comes out blank after TURBINE is displayed.

Also, I understood that the only necessary parameter for internal write is the 'UNIT=Variable' part - when I remove the other parameters the compiler says:'You may not write to a file that is read-only'

In a similar vein, is it possible to format output of mixed type?
JohnH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

After filling in the "missing" bits like the definition of UPTIME and specifying a format for the internal write statements, does the following help you?

PROGRAM INTERNAL_WRITE

CHARACTER*10 BUSY1,BUSY2,UPTIME(2)

INTEGER VALUE,IO_STAT,T

UPTIME(1)=' hello'

T=1
WRITE (FMT='(I10)',UNIT=BUSY1,IOSTAT=IO_STAT) T
WRITE (FMT='(A10)',UNIT=BUSY2,IOSTAT=IO_STAT) UPTIME(T)
WRITE(2,*) 'TURBINE'//BUSY1, BUSY2

STOP
END

which produces this output:-

TURBINE 1 hello

Smile
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

The initial problem is that you need more than 10 characters for the first list-directed output (FMT=*).
Maybe you will need to use formatted output.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

Problem solved, thank you so much for your help.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Integer to Character type casting Reply with quote

Try this...

mycharvar='text'//char(J+32)

Dan Rhea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: