forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knowledge Base Article SKB0021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpannhorst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Knowledge Base Article SKB0021 Reply with quote

In cwplus.enh under 252) a knowledge base article SKB0021 is mentioned.
Where to find this article?

Detlef
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it this...

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=1329
dpannhorst

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

this doesn't seem to be the article I have meant.

In cwplus.enh is written about %di (and others):

252) A new format code %di has been added. In some ways %di is like %ww in that it describes the attributes of the parent window. The input into %di is the name of a dialog resource constructed using a dialog resource editor such as Microsoft Visual Studio. When you use %di, all static text and all static images in the window can go into the resource.
Also the position and size of all the controls are given in the resource. This means that %di modifies the way in which other format codes are used. For example when using %di, %rd links a control to an integer value in the program but the position and size of the edit box is specified by the resource. The net result is that, to a large extent, what you see in the resource editor is what you get.

The details of how to use %di can be found on the Salford website www.salfordsoftware.co.uk in Knowledge Base Article SKB0021. This article also describes associated additions to %ps, %br and %th which can now take the form of Microsoft controls and tooltips. It also describes new interfaces to Microsoft controls - %dt (date-time picker) and %mc (month calendar).

Detlef
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detlef,

I think that the contents of this Knowledgebase entry are to be found in FTN95.CHM. Look in the Clearwin+ section under the heading of 'Using dialog resources'.

Eddie
dpannhorst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

you are right: there is some information about %di.

But there is nothing (at least I can't find anything) about these things:

This article also describes associated additions to %ps, %br and %th which can now take the form of Microsoft controls and tooltips. It also describes new interfaces to Microsoft controls - %dt (date-time picker) and %mc (month calendar).

Maybe you have another hint?

Detlef
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Detlef,

I found out about MS style tooltips from reading the stuff on %di - most of which I read with no understanding. I started to be put off when I read about the need for a resource editor (and found a free one on the web, but when I downloaded, installed and used it, I ended up more confused!).

I found that ms_style for toolhelp was more pleasing with Vista & Win7 than in XP, so in one place I have:

Code:
       CALL GET_OS_VER@ (ID_Platform, Major, Minor)
       IF (Major .LE. 5) THEN                ! i.e. XP or earlier
       IA=WINIO@('%th[delay]  &', 1, 300)
       ELSE
       IA=WINIO@('%th[delay,ms_style]  &', 1, 300)
       ENDIF

That is certainly how we use ms_style in %th, and in my opinion, it improves the look. I also tried out ms_style with %ps, but frankly, I had chosen a wrong approach using property sheets - the name should have told me. I had a set of steps through a calculation, and I stuck each on a different 'tab'. The problem was if the user wanted to backtrack - then I got in a muddle making sheets active or inactive. I also didn't think that the ms_style appearance was what I wanted. You can also try it in %br, but I never use this control. Partly that is because without ms_style when I tried it I decided that the control was ugly, and later on, I discovered that I don't do operations that need one. If an operation takes more than a certain time, you need an egg-timer cursor, then other forms of progress indicator, and %br probably for things that will take a long time, but not so long that you don't see progress on the progress bar. Anyway, in each case ms_style is on of the options inside [ ] .

Right at the end of 'Using dialog resources' is a section headed 'Notes'. Some of this stuff is in there, along with the info on %dt and %mc - these are format codes that don't get a mention elsewhere in FTN95.CHM - especially the alphabetical list of codes - but as they are mentioned as working only with %di, which I didn't understand well enough to use, and have no use for anyway, I didn't proceed further. Apologies for my limitations here.

The whole of %di could be made more comprehensible with some good examples.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard installation of FTN95 should put a set of samples in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\FTN95 Examples\clearwin\di.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I knew the examples were there, but they are not enough on their own I find.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: