forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Again: 64 bit Compiler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my two penneth.

I'm currently trying to integrate DLLs with another package (that comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions). The other package "prefers" to be a 64-bit app and would like us to supply 64-bit DLLs to link against (the actual call into our DLL is via LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress calls before calling the process itself).

Is there any way to do this or must they continue to tell their customers to use the 32-bit version if they want to use our "add in"?

K
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny's post made me look at the preceding posts - and John's 96Gb machines got me thinking. I have tried to cost the parts to build one myself (or to think about it) and I can't find a mainboard that supports more than 64 Gb of memory in 8 slots (but I can find the matching quad channel memory).

My statement was about lots of large arrays, and even in 64 Gb one might fit sixteen 4Gb arrays, eight eights, or multiple combinations of various sizes, say a 32 and four eights. If you wanted a 32 and eight fours, you might as well settle for a 32 addressed in 64 bit mode and the eight fours addressed in 32 bit mode.

It does seem to me that the way Windows 64 bit and the Intel compiler work is quite sensible, i.e. most things are really 32 bit, all except for a handful of arrays, and there is a resonable upper bound on the number of those arrays - you are going to get less than 16 arrays needing 64-bit addressing into a 64 Gb memory (or 12 in 96 Gb). I don't consider 12 to be 'lots'. Checking with a number of FE codes written by me or others, it looked to me that they would use the space if it was given in only 1 array (or 2 if the code was re-written a bit).

It seems to me that assuming that one could have (say) 64 arrays addressable in 64-bit mode ought to satisfy the needs of anyone at the present time, and even future-proof things up to a point.

Assuming that Kenny's add-in never wants more than 4 Gb for itself, isn't there a way of 'lying' to the customer's application? After all, if that parent application claims to be 64-bit it has already used a bit of deceit (Windows 64 being what it is) and won't it already have hogged all the 64-bit addressable memory for itself?

Eddie
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

I checked on the "pc" with 96gb of memory. It is a blade server, with a Xeon E5630 processor runing Server 2008 OS. It does exist and can run for a week. I just don't understand how many calculations it itterates through.
My desktop has only 12gb memory and most of my problems now run in 20 minutes.
From my experience of large memory solutions, I have only 1 large array, while the second largest is less than 100mb.
You could write your own virtual paging algorithm to use 4gb pages, but those were solution techniques we developed when I started to use computers.
There are too many other things to do and most of my paying work can run in 4gb.
Given all the work I've done in the past on out-of-core solvers, I still have a keen interest in understanding the benefits and limits of large memory solutions. I find that my pc with 12 gb provides only a small window for solving larger problems, before they too go to out of core. Doubling the mesh refinement in a 3d model is an 8x memory increase.

John
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

You can't build blade servers yourself (at least, I can't), so not in my league (I never doubted that someone had one!). 64 Gb might be within my capabilities (and only GBP800 for top quality RAM).

I've solved very important problems (my definition) in the past with 60 isoparametric elements running in 96k of memory. I'm using CHM files that are 10x bigger than that now!

Anyway, the important thing as far as I am concerned is that you can fake 64-bittedness by allowing the compiler to allow INTEGER*8 addressing for a very small number of arrays. I did think 8 originally, then thought 64, but probably 4 is enough - or if your experience and mine is a guide, maybe only 1. Absolutely everything else continues as is.

I also looked in an old code at how many lines contained references to the big array, and it was just a handful. One could easily accommodate special syntax if required. (Easily in this case means 'without getting into such a muddle you give up').

Eddie
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Demand for FTN95 - 64 bit version Reply with quote

Searching for advice, how to integrate FTN95 DLLs into 64 bit applications, I became aware of the forum's discussion about the interst in a 64 bit version of FTN95.

I can agree with many of the other members: Yes, there is a demand for a 64 bit version.

My background/characteristics:
- Using Salford/Silverfrost products for a very long time (FTN77, DBOS).
- Large amount of existing Fortran source code.
- Extensive use of ClearWin.
- Integration of DLLs, developed with FTN95, into other applications like MS Office, Delphi, VB.

Recently I had appreciated the development of DBOS to overcome the limitations of a 16 bit operation system and to make more memory available for development and application. I saw - and I am still seeing - Salford/Silverfrost as a front runner to support fortran programmers with application tools which are not directly related to a specific environment reagarding hardware and software and which are designed to fulfill the programmer's needs.

Today we are faced to the problem that the 64 bit development is progressing. More and more of our customers may use 64 bit versions of software products. Although 32 bit seems to be the default for e.g. MS office, 64 bit versions are available and some companies may decide to make use of them.

Therefore a request for 64 bit versions of DLLs will arise. I would prefer to have a solution based on Silverfrost FTN95 or FTN20xx. If there is a prospect of availability within reasonable time, I would appreciate. Otherwise I have to look for alternatives.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working on this and hope to have something ready for the next release which should come out before the end of 2012.
lozzer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
I am currently working on this and hope to have something ready for the next release which should come out before the end of 2012.

Is there any news on this yet please?

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have completed my development ready for the next release and will provide details shortly.
lozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Yes I have completed my development ready for the next release and will provide details shortly.

Okay, good news. Do we have a timeframe?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are aiming for a full release in the near future but if this is not possible before the end of January I will see if I can provide a beta release for "64 bit ClearWin+".

The basic concept is to provide a 64 bit DLL for ClearWin+ that will provide access to ClearWin+ from third party compilers such as gFortran. Fortran code that is Fortran 95 Standard conforming and calls on the ClearWin+ library, can then be developed using FTN95 and released as 64 bit executable and DLLs.
lozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Beta release would be appreciated.
lozzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
We are aiming for a full release in the near future but if this is not possible before the end of January I will see if I can provide a beta release for "64 bit ClearWin+".

The basic concept is to provide a 64 bit DLL for ClearWin+ that will provide access to ClearWin+ from third party compilers such as gFortran. Fortran code that is Fortran 95 Standard conforming and calls on the ClearWin+ library, can then be developed using FTN95 and released as 64 bit executable and DLLs.

Any news "he said, expecting the answer No" (for all those Monty Python Cheese Sketch fans out there).

You've got to laugh haven't you? It's not as if we've built our entire business around Clearwin is it? Oh, hang on a minute. Yes we have. Oops.

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry. I hope to have something for you very soon.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beta version of 64 bit ClearWin+ is now available to users who have a Silverfrost support contract.

I will send you details upon receiving a message in my Forum message box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: