forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crash with OpenGL Graphics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EKruck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Crash with OpenGL Graphics Reply with quote

On more then 500 workstations our nice OpenGL 3D-viewer is working well. Since years I hear from three customers, that the program crashes on their computer. These customers are far away - no way to test something.
Now I bought a new development computer: a real high-end workstation. Just on this machine this OpenGL program crashes.
I have done already many tests but no success. I used e.g. /DEBUG_SOURCE and /RUNTRACE to see where it stops.

A complex WINIO window contains as well two %og OpenGL areas. When running the program it creates this WINIO window after the last WINIO continuation. It includes the defined %og areas - however, they remain black and the program stops with access violation at address 000. No call-back function will be called.

When I remove the %og lines, the program runs, however without the graphics.

I changed already the graphic card and the driver – no success.

Any idea ??

Thank you, Erwin
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erwin,

No ideas, but shouldn't you fill in the details of other hardware and software so that we can look for common factors? I imagine at the very least:
Windows version, and 32 or 64 bit.
cpu type
mainboard type
amount of RAM
video card type
If it is a Windows version issue, then it is something of very great concern, because then sooner or later all OpenGL will stop working. But if it is (say) a video card type issue, then you would at least know what and what not to buy. Is it the case that OpenGL is better supported on nVidia than on AMD/ATI cards? Might it be a downloadable driver issue?
I have seen OpenGL support issues previously on this forum.

Eddie
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erwin, what do you think about the following: If possible, create a small test viewer which shows the same effect as you described, and make this available for us together with a small test data set. Then, everyone can run it on the own PC and can report whether it works or not and on what machine / graphics adapter / operating system etc. the test was made.

Regards - Wilfried
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erwin,
Wilfried has a point. Between all forum users we ought to be able to sort out common factors very quickly
Eddie
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had with OpenGL only some minor unimportant issues with hardware acceleration. Nothing else. We discussed this here, may be you will find something useful if you will search this forum with these keywords
EKruck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: OpenGLDemo Reply with quote

As well the examples from ..\Silverfrost\FTN95\demo\OpenGL\ are not running.
Erwin
IanLambley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried disabling the hardware acceleration?
EKruck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

your hint seems to go into the right direction, but I did not find such a switch anymore under Win7.

I made some interesting tests:

I removed the driver for the ATI AMD FirePro V5900 and used the standard Windows 7 driver. Result: All OpenGL programs are running very well (but unsufficient resolution).

Then I installed the driver vom CD again. Result: The programs from ..\Silverfrost\FTN95\demo\OpenGL\ are opening the graphics windows, but they are flickering and movement is far to fast. My own program crashed.

The interesting point is, that the OpenGL test program "OpenGL Extensions Viever" from www.realtech-vr.com are running very well. Only the graphics programs produced by FTN95 are not running well or not at all.

I conclude: the ATI driver is not compatible with the FTN95 software or their DLLs !?

My OpenGL DLLs are:
glut32.dll dated Jan.28, 2011
glmf32.dll, glu32.dll, OpenGL32.dll dated Jul.14, 2009

Erwin
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the AMD website, the drivers for your card were updated today!

OpenGL problems are described on many game user forums, with helpful suggestions of things to try.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: